Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sixth graders learn about ordering and adding integers; some DON'T learn about getting work done on time

In math we worked with ordering and adding integers, positive and negative. We used the integer sticks I made to make it a little easier, and they seemed very comfortable with it.

We played Sparkle for spelling today.

In language we took our 9 weeks assessment.

I talked to the class about turning things in on time. Some are getting better, and others are getting worse. I told them that during the last nine weeks, there is not time at the end to try and make up for missing or careless work. Yesterday’s math assignment was short and some finished before class was over. Today when I picked it up, over half of the class didn’t have it ready to turn in. Many only had one or two more to do, and I told them they should have been done as homework last night. With junior high so near, I worry about some of them. My third son almost drowned in junior high. I never thought we would get out, as he had so many zeros. Often times the work was done but he had failed to turn it in. I would find it in his room. He is in high school now and doing better, but I know how hard it is once a child falls behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment