Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Writers do lesson on how to give directions on paper

In writer’s workshop today we did a class share lesson on writing instructions. I wrote one direction at a time, and the children did as it said. For example the first one was to get 9 shapes from our container. They were told to make what I had made. Of course, since they didn’t have enough information they couldn’t do it. In the end everyone came up with the shape I had made. 
 
This is an important competency for young writers -- how to take an idea and translate it into print.  If you have ever tried to follow someone's written directions on anything from how to cook to how to put together a piece of furniture to how to reach a destination by car, you know how confusing directions can be.  It's really hard to take an idea and reduce it to written directions
 
In science we took today to get caught up on any unfinished work. With report cards coming up, I wanted them to have some time to finish anything they were missing. Since I do duty almost daily, I rarely am able to have them come in at recess, and when I do, many forget to come in. They were allowed to work on any missing work from any class.

No comments:

Post a Comment