Monday, August 22, 2011

Sixth grade classes off to a great start


Our blog is up and running, although it will probably continue to be worked on for awhile. 

I would like to thank everyone for coming to Open House.  It was great to meet every one of you.

I am still learning names but am getting better.  Our class is a great bunch of young men and women.  I feel fortunate to be able to work with them.

In math today we reviewed simple math operations.  We did it by working problems and matching the given letter to the answer.  I like to use things that might interest the students and I used a Sammy Sosa page today. 

In language we set up our Writers’ Notebooks.  We will do a lot of writing this year.  In fact, we have our own writing coach who will visit us from time to time to do a lesson.  

In spelling we went over our words.  We also unscrambled sentences using our list.  I have also put this week’s list on spellingcity.com.  Your child wrote down the site and the steps to find our list.  In case that doesn’t make its way home here are the steps again:

             Spellingcity.com
                Students
                Find a list
                Susan Jacobs
                Then choose the one at Broadmoore. 

This way your child can work on his/her spelling words at home.  Our test will be on Friday. Note that there is a link to spellingcity.com on the right-hand column of this blog.

I also told the class they may have individual water bottles at their desks. 

Due to a leak this summer, we are getting new bulletin boards and cabinets.  Yes, after I finally got them upJ. But our room is going to look great once it is done.

Again, thank you for allowing me to work with your child this year.  I have sent home my phone number.  If you didn’t get it, just send a note with your child and I will send it home with him/her. 

Have a great Monday evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment